About Us

History of Ss. Philip and James 
 

The school’s history goes back over 140 years. Saints Philip and James School (SPJ) opened in 1875 with 12 boys and 16 girls and one lay teacher. Records show the old school was torn down and a new school was built in 1935. Another section was added in 1967 and the second floor was built in 1979.The Sisters of Notre Dame staffed the school from 1883 to 1885 and again from 1941 to 1975. Today the school is staffed with highly qualified, state certified teachers.